Sunday, January 11, 2009

Footprints Part 2

I fixed myself a Gibson (in keeping with the theme) and began to prep the ingredients for this post's recipes when I realized my slip-up. I was just so hungry this week for a taste of summer that I shopped without my conscience. I try hard to buy locally and cook seasonally, but for this post I did neither. I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I'll do better next week. It's the effort that counts. And that's what I encourage everyone to do. Make the effort to buy from your local farmers and purveyors. It's ok to slip up every now and again. This isn't about depriving or punishing yourself. It's about awareness. Check out http://www.locavores.com/ and http://www.localharvest.org/ for info.

Shaved Vidalia Onion and Fennel Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
Serves 4 as side dish.



1 Vidalia onion, paper removed
1 fennel bulb, green tops and core removed
2 carrots, peeled
5 radishes
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Balsamic glaze (pomegranate, if available)
3/4 Navel orange, juiced
Pink salt flakes (if available; they have a nice sweetness)
Ground black pepper

Shave onion, fennel, carrots, and radishes on mandoline set over large bowl. If you don't have mandoline, simply slice thinly. Make enough vinaigrette to coat vegetables by combining oil, vinegar, glaze, and orange juice. Season with salt and pepper.

For a little something extra, try mixing in some pomegranate seeds or fresh herbs like flat-leaf parsley or basil.

Gratuitous video (a.k.a. my hubby wanted to use my new camera):


Onion and Artichoke Stuffed Tomatoes
Serve 8 as side dish (or 4 vegetarians).



8 plum tomatoes
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Ground black pepper
14 oz can artichoke hearts in water, drained
1 small yellow onion
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Handful fresh oregano sprigs, leaves removed

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and apply non-stick spray. Halve and seed tomatoes and place cut side up on sheet. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Finely chop artichokes and onion (or use food processor) and put in bowl. Add bread crumbs, cheese, oregano, and generous pinches of salt and pepper to bowl. Stir to combine. Stuff tomatoes. Make sure you really pack in the mixture. Cook for 25 minutes.

Up next: dips. Make one for your NFL playoff party. Or eat like I do. Standing in the kitchen, dipping chip after chip until the dip's gone. Yum.

3 comments:

  1. perhaps you can be my personal chef. thanks for meeting up w/ me for lunch the other day... miss you and i'm enjoying your yummy recipe ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The salad looks incredible - sweet & savory - with crunch and color! The perfect thing for a dreary winter day, in season or not! Thanks for the beautiful presentation and excellent research...congrats on the site! I'll be salivating for more! BON BON Appetite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the video. I want to try one of your recipes this weekend. But first I must decide which one....

    ReplyDelete