Sunday, January 25, 2009

Bloody Marys For All

I've come up with five different ways to make Bloody Marys. Well, in actuality, Virgin Marys. No matter how much I like other vodka cocktail concoctions, I just can't bring myself to liquor up my Virgin Marys. I like them thick, with the full flavor of whatever herbs, spices, and such I've added to them. I don't like the astringency that comes with adding vodka. But that's just me. Feel free to add vodka (or gin or whatever) to any of the following recipes. I'm sure they can take it.

Disclaimer: I don't provide measurements below because I don't know them. Each time I make a Virgin Mary I use the ingredients I've listed, but I finagle with the proportions until it tastes good. This isn't baking. Exactitude not required.

Standard
- V8, chilled; get low-sodium so you can control salt content (I prefer V8 to regular tomato juice because it has more flavor)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce; use your favorite; I usually choose one that's low in vinegar, i.e., Cholula as opposed to Tabasco
- Horseradish (ground not creamed)
- Celery seed
- Celery salt, in drink and around rim
* Adorn with green olive, pickled onion, and Tomolive (
http://www.oldsouth.com/products.asp?id=94&topcat=1)

Mexican
- Ingredients above from V8 to horseradish
- Cilantro leaves
- Cumin (ground not seed)
- Ancho salt; mix equal parts ancho chile powder and table salt; put around rim
* Adorn with green onion and pickled jalapenos

Italian
- Standard ingredients from V8 to celery seed
- Basil leaves, chiffonade
- Garlic salt, in drink
* Adorn with giardiniera

French
- Standard ingredients from V8 to celery seed
- Tarragon leaves
- Fleur de sel, in drink and around rim
* Adorn with goat cheese balls and nicoise olives

Greek
- Standard ingredients from V8 to celery seed
- Oregano leaves
- Kosher salt, in drink and around rim
* Adorn with feta cubes and kalamata olives

No comments:

Post a Comment