Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Week In Cooking 2

I had a second week of mucho kitchen-time.

First I made a chowder with salmon and bay scallops. I'm not usually one for cream-based soups, but this was good. I browned pancetta then I added diced onions, a few smashed garlic cloves, and quartered new potatoes. I cooked these for a little while with the spices (Old Bay, paprika, piment d'espelette, cayenne, bay leaf, salt, and lots of pepper) then I poured in clam juice, milk, water, and a bit of cream. When it came to a simmer I added the salmon (I bought a fillet, skinned it, and chunked it up), scallops, and frozen corn and peas. In minutes the chowder was done, giving us several meals.

Next up: Cardamom-Scented Oatmeal Pancakes with Cherries and Almonds. The NYT recipe calls for apricots, but Whole Foods was completely out of them. I love dried cherries and they turned out to be a good substitute, I think. We don't usually eat a very carby breakfast, but these were great. Oatmeal's really good for you after all!

Followed by Spinach and Pork Thai Noodles. I cooked up ground pork in one pan while I sauteed the veggies and aromatics in sesame oil in another. These were garlic, ginger, scallions, and a ton of fresh spinach. When these were soft I added the pork along with soy sauce, five-spice, dried basil, salt, and pepper. I let this simmer while I boiled the rice noodles. I served the spinach and meat mixture over the noodles topped with cilantro and mint. One of the best things I've ever made - so flavorful!

And, finally, tonight I'm whipping up fish tacos. Yesterday's snow inspired me. I'll let you all know how they turn out.




No comments:

Post a Comment