Friday, January 21, 2011

My Week In Cooking

I accomplished a lot this week - mostly in the kitchen - and it ain't over yet. Monday night I made a quick version of beef Stroganoff with some leftovers, and yesterday I whipped up my crazy tabbouleh (enough to feed all of Syria) and a gnocchi casserole. There'll be more stove-time this weekend, too.

The beef Stroganoff started off with stir-fry meat, which I browned. Then to the high-sided saute pan I poured in vegetable stock and heavy cream, seasoned with salt and pepper. (Nutmeg would have been a good addition, as I think about it now.) When it came to a simmer, and I knew the beef was done, I threw in cooked farfalle pasta and steamed carrots. Stir, stir, voila! I had mine topped with grated Pecorino Romano.

My tabbouleh includes all the usual suspects plus several unconventional ones. Cooked bulghur with chopped parsley, cucumber, tomato, and onion tossed with lemon and olive oil probably sounds familiar. What makes it "crazy" is the addition of garbanzos, yellow bell pepper, mint, garlic salt, and grains of paradise. I should have added some heat, too. Maybe minced jalapeno. Darn! Next time for sure.

The gnocchi casserole was one of the richest things I've ever made, but that's what you want on a really cold night, right? I defrosted then simmered pasta sauce I'd made a while ago. To that I added a whole bag of defrosted and drained spinach. I returned the mixture to a simmer. Then I boiled up a package of gnocchi. After draining, I spread out the gnocchi on the bottom of an oiled casserole dish. I topped it with the spinach mixture, dollops of ricotta, and shredded mozzarella. After 15-20 minutes in a 375-degree oven, I had myself one hot, gooey gratin.

Waiting for bulghur

Gnocchi at a rolling boil

Mmmelted cheese!

Dinner is served.

No comments:

Post a Comment