Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Week In Cooking 3 Plus Some Updates

First up were fish tacos with tilapia, black beans, shredded cheese, and cilantro topped with a squeeze of lime. We used blue corn hard-shell tacos. I made the tilapia on the stovetop, not really making any attempt to keep the fillets together. I flaked the fish up in the hot olive oil and stirred in my spices: cayenne, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper.

Next was chicken pot pie from Cook's Illustrated, which was good in very small quantities. SO rich! I actually woke up in the middle of the night after we made this for dinner. I was so full I felt sick to my stomach. Not a rousing endorsement, I guess, though it also could have been because of what me made for dessert.

Cannoli cheesecake from Gourmet. Yes, another very rich dish. Perhaps we should have made them on different nights. Anyway, it was pretty good, but I'd take regular old cannoli any day. Every day in fact.

In terms of updates, I'm currently looking for a new place to volunteer. DC Central Kitchen has been very difficult to get into, and I really liked it there! Well, there's lots of other kitchens, farm markets, community gardens, etc., that can use help. I'll find the one with the best fit then spend my Mondays there.

I got the spring course book for L'Academie de Cuisine. I signed up for a tart workshop. I also decided to try Culinarie cooking school in DC. The hubby and I are taking an Indian cooking class. Can't wait for that!

1 comment:

  1. I made that chicken pot pie also, but had lots of help eating it. It was delicious! It was surprisingly good, as well, as a leftover. I think the cake put you over the top. (But it sounds good!)

    ReplyDelete