Friday, January 8, 2010

Recent Thoughts

More than usual I've had food on the brain recently. I guess it's because of the holidays. Being with the people who inspire me. And eating a lot, A LOT. So here's some of my thoughts:
  • O, olives...I love them, but I usually stick to three kinds: picholine, Kalamata, and oil-cured black. This year I want to branch out. And I also want to make my own marinades for store-bought ones. I've been thinking about a citrus marinade, an herby one made predominately with Greek oregano, a spicy one maybe involving sriracha or harissa, and a smoky one with a vinaigrette that includes bacon fat.
  • Fresh, local, natural, organic, seasonal, sustainable... They're not just buzz words. They're words to live by. I'm trying my best, and when I fall down, I get back up and try even harder. Why? Because I want to know where my food comes from and the people who provide it.  And I want my children to know, too. This includes eggs, milk, and meat. I want to eat the way my grandparents ate. Hopefully my kids won't have to look that far back.
  • I thought it prudent to note that even though a number of the recipes on this site serve two people, this is not hard and fast. I tend to cook for two, but I think the recipes are pretty fluid so definitely experiment with increasing quantities to feed a family or a crowd.
  • I was going to sign us up for a CSA this year, but I decided that with all of the local farm markets, I'd hold off. After all, I've only been here a few months so I haven't experienced all the seasons at our markets. I doubt I'll find them lacking. Though maybe one day when I have less time to browse, and want the convenience of a weekly CSA basket, I'll sign the dotted line.
  • I realize I haven't ever discussed techniques or kitchen tools/utensils, so that's coming up this year. (KFW just celebrated its first anniversary last week so...yay!)
  • In case you haven't noticed, desserts are not my thing--cooking them, I mean. Eating them's a different story. I prefer to leave the hard science of baking to someone else. Though maybe this year I'll whip up a few recipes--easy ones.
  • There aren't many things I won't eat. In fact, the only one I can think of is Jell-O. Just thought I'd share.
  • I'll end with a quote I fell in love with recently: "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." --J.R.R. Tolkien

2 comments:

  1. I love olives too :). And you, maker of a merry world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you, Merry-dith ;) Love you, too!

    ReplyDelete