Saturday, January 16, 2010

Balcony Gardens Of Bygone

Believe it or not we’re moving again. Not to a new city (the second in less than six months--I couldn’t deal with that) but to a new apartment just blocks away.

While we’re not thrilled at the idea, it does have its ups--namely two balconies both gloriously sunny. I’m ecstatic! After no sun in Philly and no outdoor space (not to mention missing the growing season) at our current place, it’s finally time for a garden. I don’t care if it’s only January, I’m thinking ahead and planning it now.

Nothing’s set in stone yet, but I’m looking at having basil, cilantro, mint, Greek oregano, Italian parsley, rosemary, and lemon thyme; arugula and spinach; a few different tomatoes (I'm leaning towards container-friendly varieties like Silvery Fir Tree); and peppers both hot and sweet.

I’ve really been enjoying browsing (and drooling over) the following websites:

Heirloom Seeds
Herb Society of America
Native Seeds
Plants for a Future
Seeds of Change
Seed Savers Exchange
Southern Exposure Seed Exchange
Vegetable Varieties for Gardeners

I’m fascinated by heirloom seeds and thereby heirloom products. I like the idea of growing something ancient or, if not ancient, at least from a time before, ancestral if you will. (I’m an archaeologist after all.) Additionally, I love the idea of preserving these crops, perpetuating them. I can't wait to get started. Maybe I won't have the balcony gardens of Babylon, but they'll at least be...well...bygone.

No comments:

Post a Comment