Monday, May 18, 2009

Skirt Steak Burritos = Muy Umami

Marinate skirt steak in lime, tamari sauce, worcestershire sauce, cumin, salt, and pepper (and whatever other flavors you're craving). Refrigerate for a few hours. Grill for 8-10 minutes total. Rest for 5. Slice thinly. Enjoy in a black-bean-and corn-salad-stuffed tortilla.



I've been hearing a lot about "umami" recently so I read up on it, and I discovered that beef as well as soy sauce (in this case tamari) and worcestershire are loaded with the stuff--glutamate and ribonucleotides to be exact--that make you experience this fifth taste. If "umami" means "delicious" then my skirt steak burritos are muy umami. (Actually, this is a bit of a stretched translation; it better translates as "savory.") Check this and this out.

As a side note, my lettuce is now on red alert. It seems to have stopped growing, but I suspect it will pick up speed this week. The weather's been bizarre since I last wrote, but I think it's now leaning toward normal. Expect photos soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment