Sunday, March 7, 2010

On The Best Gift Ever And Celeriac

No catchy title this time. Not that they're ever really "catchy." They're just usually less blah than today's. Well, at least it's vaguely descriptive. Anyway...

What's the best gift ever, you ask? The Moleskine Recipe Journal I received just-because from my hubby. Check it out.

I'm obsessed with it, and I highly recommend it to anyone who thinks about food and drink more than "normal." What is "normal"? Probably less than practically every waking minute :)

Now onto celeriac, or celery root as it's also known, though I prefer the former. I don't know why, but to me it sounds like it always should be said by Sean Connery (in his James Bond days of course). My imitation does just fine though.

Most recipes call for mashing it like potatoes or eating it raw in salads. Tonight I'm taking the middle ground and I'm going to parboil it then saute it with onions and garlic. I'll finish it off with salt and pepper (duh!), some dried herbage--probably parsley since the root tastes a bit like it--and a pinch of heat (red pepper flake or cayenne pepper).

Word to the wise: When working with celeriac, don't forget to put your cut-up pieces in acidulated water. Otherwise they'll discolor.

That's all today. Time to fix me a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment