Sunday, February 7, 2010

Mount Vernon Distilling Rye Whiskey, Be Still My Heart

My recent archaeological volunteer work at George Washington's former home, Mount Vernon, alerted me to the existence of a working distillery on the property. I did some research on their website and discovered that you can visit it, though there's conflicting information re. whether you can purchase or even just sample the whiskey. I'll have to give them a call to find out for sure. Even if you can't bring home the goods or try them, it's still really cool that you can see a reenactment of the 18th-century techniques in action. When I visit I'll be sure to report back.

Check out the info here and here.

I also should point out that Washington distilled rye whiskey--my favorite--and that's what they're distilling today at Mount Vernon. For those of you who haven't converted to the Blessed Church of Rye check out the Wiki page and this and this because I don't work enough Mad Men references into KFW.

No comments:

Post a Comment