Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Fine Food and Free Rice

At the end of August we're leaving Philly for Washington, DC. Before that happens we plan to go to the following bars and restaurants (narrowed down from 120):

A La Maison
A.P.J. Texas Wieners
Brauhaus Schmitz
Cafe Estelle
Carman's Country Kitchen
Chicks
Chris Jazz Cafe
Coquette
Dock Street Brewery
Earth Bread and Brewery
Ekta
Famous Fourth Street Deli
Grey Lodge
Honey's Sit n Eat
Horizons
James
Joe's Peking Duck Original 1984
Lee How Fook
Marigold Kitchen
Pumpkin
Q.T. Vietnamese Sandwich
Ron’s Ribs
South Philly Taproom
Tiffin
Tinto
Vic
Villa di Roma

If anybody has any further suggestions or thoughts, let me know. Philly's such an incredible food (and drink) town. Here's to hoping that DC can fit the bill.

And now for something completely different...I read about this in my hubby's Men's Health (don't ask, I was curious). In just a couple minutes' time, I donated over 200 grains of rice (and I plan on donating a lot more)! Everybody should know about this site. It's got to be the simplest way to make a bit of difference.

6 comments:

  1. ahhh!!! I totally love freerice.com. I do it at night when I don't want to sleep but have nothing to do in front of the computer.

    You MUST go to Lee How Fook and order their salt baked squid. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Best dish there, along with pan-fried noodles (sauce on the side ensures that noodles stay crispy the entire time). It's the one restaurant that I will always associate with Philly's Chinatown, and the best plate of salt-baked squid ever.

    Very jealous that you went to Talula's, btw!!!! Crazy crazy. Need to email you soon xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for the suggestions, Jean. We'll get to Lee How Fook asap and order the squid and noodles. (I love salt-baked anything btw. I had shrimp prepared that way the other day and it was divine.) Let's talk soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's outside Philly, but, before you leave the area please go to Bolete if you haven't tried it. I think the food is terrific and is the best place in the Allentown area!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to Bolete, and I really enjoyed the food, though the most memorable item was the lavender martini. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew - that's quite a list! Isn't there also another Oyster House you wanted to try? Maybe you should do that for lunch, sans Ry? :-) Good luck in getting to them all! Heavenly! MMM and I must go back to Bolete and try that martini!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the free rice site - a great way to build vocabulary too :) planning on sending students there in the fall

    and good luck with getting to all those restaurants, yum!

    ReplyDelete