Sunday, March 1, 2009

Crying Over Uncurdled Milk



This week's posting was supposed to be about the great mozzarella I made. I was going to post images of the ingredients and process and fantastic final result. Well, my well-laid plans fell flat. Or, rather, they didn't curd. I have no idea what happened. I've made mozzarella before and it came out perfectly fine. The trick is to use pasteurized (not ultra-pasteurized) milk. ("Ultra-pasteurized" refers to milk processed at an extremely high temperature. This denatures the proteins needed for it to come together into cheese.) I did this. So I'm at a loss as to why it didn't firm up. But it doesn't mean I won't make cheese again. Next time I think I'll try my hand at ricotta. At least it's meant to be soft.

If you're interested in making your own cheese, it's quick and easy (when you don't muck it up). Though even if it were arduous, I'd still do it. It's very satisfying and, I think, relaxing. In fact, I find most "urban homesteading" activities centering. If you agree, check out New England CheeseMaking Supply Company, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and Homegrown Evolution. If you're rolling on the floor or just rolling your eyes, feel free to skip the suggestions for further reading. No offense taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment